Monday, March 15, 2010

New Old Jane...a retrospective of portraits

Here are some portraits of school mates and friends done at different stages of my life. This was done sometime after I was eight or ten years of age.  Pardon my foot.

Also pardon my inability to get this page lined up properly. I can't seem to get rid of the gaps without losing the pictures so I give up! 




This next pastel is of long time friend Nancy, done around the same time. It is interesting (to me at least!) to compare how my style changed in the line drawing of her done ten or twelve years later, after my brief stint at California College of Arts and Crafts in Oakland.











The next two are of my art school dormitory room mate, Laurie circa 1961-62. The first is a pen and ink line drawing and the second is one of the very rare oil paintings I have ever done.

It was quite torturous for a shy only child to have a room mate.  But she saved the day with her wonderful singing and playing guitar. She even taught me how to play and spawned a life long interest in early folk music.

Laurie drop me a line via this post if you are still in the land of the living.



Here is another friend and dorm resident from those few months in Art School. She went on to marry a musician named Mike from the band called Notes from the Underground. Sandy if you are out there I would love to hear from you as well.

I sure would like to know what happened to my CCAC drawing teacher Ralph Borges. I had and still have great admiration for him.

Ralph if you see this drop me a line as well.


No comments:

Paper Mache Clay Experiment - What I would do differently

This is so typical of me to just jump in where angels fear to tread and make up my own rules.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn...